- Each box contains 2 packets of each culture: Viili, Filmjölk, Matsoni, and Piimä (see more below).
- Activate 1 packet using 1-2 cups pasteurized milk (store 2nd packet in the freezer as a back-up).
- These starters culture on the countertop at room temperature, 70º-77ºF, no yogurt maker is required!
- Suitable for use with pasteurized whole milk and with raw dairy milk or non-dairy milk, with special care.
- Avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Re-usable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch and recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
Heirloom Starter Cultures Included in the Box
- Viili Starter Culture (5200): A Finnish yogurt variety, Viili is very mild and creamy, with a fairly thick consistency. It’s a versatile favorite that’s perfect on its own or in any yogurt recipe.
- Filmjölk Starter Culture (5201): Another Finnish variety, Filmjölk has a tangy flavor reminiscent of cheese and a custard-like texture. It’s great with fresh fruit or over pie. Kids love it!
- Matsoni Starter Culture (5202): Matsoni, also known as Caspian Sea Yoghurt, from The Republic of Georgia, has a thin, custard-like texture with notes of honey. Its flavor is the most “yogurty” and is a popular choice for frozen yogurt.
- Piimä Starter Culture (5203): Piimä, a Scandinavian variety, is very thin and drinkable with a mild flavor. Culture it with cream instead of milk to make a tasty sour cream-like topping.