Our heirloom-variety buttermilk starter creates a traditional cultured buttermilk that is rich in nutrients. Homemade buttermilk can be used for baking, drinking or can be added to cream for making cultured butter.
- Reusable culture: a small amount of each batch can be used to make the next batch and recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
- Each box contains 2 packets of starter culture. Activate 1 packet using 1 quart pasteurized milk (store 2nd packet in the freezer as a back-up).
- Cultures on the countertop at 70°-77°F, no appliance required.
- Culture may be used to make raw milk buttermilk, with special care.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Instructions for making cultured buttermilk are included with your starter.